Friday, August 30, 2024

Life with a Narcissist in 7 Short Chapters (inspired by Portia Nelson's piece)


inspired by Portia Nelson’s “Autobiography in Five Short Chapters”
located below


I.
I walk down the street.
He has prepared a red carpet for me to walk on,
Strewn with roses.
He puts a crown on my head,
Telling me he would do anything for me and only wants the very best for me.


II.
I walk down the street, with him beside me.
He pushes me out of the way in one spot, saying,
“Watch out for that big hole.
Aren’t you fortunate I saved you from falling?
I’m your hero!”

He leads me onward.
I look back and see no hole.  There is no hole.
But I am so grateful he saved me.


III.
I walk down the same street in the same spot, with him beside me.
He sticks out his foot in front of my legs.
I fall.
I skin my knee, I twist my ankle.
He stands above me, looking down with contempt,
“Wow!  You really are clumsy.  You are lucky I put up with you.
If only you were like me, you wouldn’t have fallen in that hole.
What a shame.”

I pull myself out of the hole,
Watching the blood drip down my shin,
My head hanging low in shame,
Hobbling along,
Watching the back of his head disappear ahead into the crowd.
This happens every time we walk down this street.


IV.
I walk down the same street in the same spot, all by myself.
When I get to the hole in the sidewalk that now is so apparent,
I tiptoe on the curb,
Thankful, so thankful for his warning and wisdom.
I look back and see a shadow of the hole.


V.
I walk down the same street,
my friend walking beside me.  
When I go to tiptoe on the curb, she tugs at my arm,
And she asks, “What are you doing?”
When I reply, “Avoiding the hole,” she stares at me and asks, in a completely serious voice,
“What hole?”
She reassures, “There is no hole, and I would never let you fall in one.”
I look at the sidewalk and wonder.


VI.
Much later, I walk down the same street, all by myself.
With scarred knees and a permanent limp,
I walk assuredly on the sidewalk,
Looking back to see the sidewalk that was whole all along.


VII.
Much, much later, I walk down the same street, all by myself or with others.
My scars on my knees have lessened.
But, if I am truthful, I still sometimes walk timidly in that spot,
Still hoping that I won’t fall.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Original Piece “Autobiography in Five Short Chapters”
 by Portia Nelson:
I
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.
II
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place
but, it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.
III
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
my eyes are open
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.
IV
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.
V
I walk down another street.



No comments:

Post a Comment