Sunday, December 20, 2020

A Non-traditional Christmas--Christmas 2020





 Christmas 2020

While going through my mom’s house recently, I ran across a document where she listed her

family traditions and my dad’s family traditions prior to their marriage. In typical Peggy Lewis-

organized fashion, she also listed how they had intertwined these traditions while giving up ones

that could be set aside. My Christmas tree reflects one of these traditions. Each year, my

parents gave me an ornament that represented something from that year. I continued the

tradition with my own sons. As a result, on my tree, beside the deteriorating 47-year-old

Raggedy Ann ornament is a metal flag to represent the year Jonathan screamed in joy every

time he saw a flag and on a branch nearby is a giraffe ornament for the year Andy fell in love

with the animals at Animal Kingdom.


This past year COVID-19 has caused each of us to reexamine our traditions. I know traditions

help us build community, build family, hold on to the past, build a legacy for the future, and find

meaning in life. Yet, in 2020, we have had to re-examine these traditions and weigh their value

with the value of the lives around us. It has been a hard year.


Yet, if we look back at the first Christmas, we can see that it was anything but traditional.

Nothing from that event---from the two young newlyweds desperately looking for a place to stay,

the unusual spot of a stable for a baby’s birth, the arrival of dirty shepherds, and eventually, the

unexpected visit of three men who most likely looked and spoke differently---was traditional or

normal. However, over the past 2020 years, we have often built personal traditions up to be the

only way we feel we can celebrate the holiday, sometimes forgetting the true meaning of the

holiday.


2020 has taught me that if our eyes are on the priority---our love and friendship with

others—then, traditions can be changed, and life continues on. Due to the uncertainty of the

pandemic, and most recently due to my mother’s death, I have found myself rethinking what is

most important.


For Andy and Jonathan who both just graduated---one from Baylor and the other from high

school, there were no traditional graduation ceremonies or cap and gown pictures. We grieved

the loss of those ceremonies, but we celebrated both of the boys and their achievements. For

Andy, COVID limited job opportunities, so he moved home and we got to spend 6 months with

him and his dog, Astro, but we chose to celebrate sharing a few more moments together.

Jonathan completed an internship at Cameron Park Zoo this summer, and although the job

changed due to COVID, in true spirit for him, none of that mattered as long as he could care for

the fish in the aquatics section.


Anthony and I each had to alter traditional modes of our jobs. Anthony learned how to use 360

videos to do house showings for clients, and he began his own YouTube channel, reaching

people all over the country, several of whom have since contacted him. I learned how to Zoom,

how to use online breakout rooms, and how to hold online office hours. Despite a longing to

tailgate with friends or a desire to see friends in person, we have creatively maintained our

friendships via Zoom sessions or lunches spent talking through the open windows of our

separate cars. Just in the past 4 months, Anthony and his dad have both been hospitalized and

my mom has died, and despite these challenges and the loss, Anthony and I have chosen to

celebrate in our new socially-distanced lives the moments we sit on the back porch, smell the

smoke of the grill, and listen to music.


This year the LED lights may not sit in my house windows, and the decorations may not all be

displayed. I may not be making my traditional desserts, and the Christmas parties will not

happen. However, the legacy my parents left me and the legacy I hope to leave will not

change: Cherish friendships. Show kindness. Hope. Dream. Do justice. Be merciful. Show

grace. Celebrate the moments. Love. Love. Love. Despite the traditions that you find unable

to continue this year, I pray you and your family find an opportunity to celebrate your love for

each other. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment